The NSWIS Medical Program is responsible for minimising the risks and effects of injury and illness on NSWIS athletes, and to assist athletes and coaches facilitate safe, legal and effective training, preparation and competition.
The program provides athletes with access to high quality medical and paramedical services in four specific areas:
The NSWIS Medical Program is responsible for:
- Screening NSWIS athletes for existing illness, health and musculoskeletal problems as well as prevention of potential medical issues
- Ensuring the provision of a referral mechanism for the appropriate treatment, remedial programs and training modifications to address any identified problems
- Organising appropriate, expert and rapid intervention in the case of illness or injury
- Planning and monitoring the athlete’s safe return to training and competition following illness or injury
- Promoting and supporting adherence to ethical treatment guidelines and regulations with regard to drugs and doping methods in sport
The NSWIS is linked to an array of private sports medicine doctors, physiotherapists, massage therapists and dietitians that form an elite NSWIS Service Provider Network. Each service provider has been accredited under strict criteria of excellence in sports medicine knowledge, training and experience.
The NSWIS Medical Handbook provides further information on the NSWIS Medical Program.
The NSWIS Medical team:
- Dr Donald Kuah, Medical Director
- Kinglsey Gibson, Physiotherapy Coordinator
- Brent Kirkbride, Physiotherapy Coordinator
- Dr Helen O’Connor, Dietitian Network Consultant
- Sally Walker, Dietitian Coordinator
- Merryn Aldridge, Strength and Conditioning - Injury Prevention and Recovery
Please call 02 9763 0209 for further information regarding the NSWIS Medical Program.