The NSWIS provides nutrition services to support healthy lifestyles, with a focus on performance nutrition by implementing strategies to complement high levels of training and competition in elite sports.
The NSWIS aims to ensure athletes receive adequate exposure to nutrition services for education, guidance and support. This in turn helps athletes apply sound nutrition strategies that complement high performance sport, support good health and decrease the risk of injury or illness from poor nutrition.
The benefits of supporting training with a suitable diet include:
- Rapid and effective recovery for greater performance over multiple training sessions
- Improved energy levels, concentration and focus
- Better moods and motivation in athletes
- Meeting body composition requirements so attention can be given to developing skills
- Reducing the risk of illness and injury from poor nutrition, diet & hydration and incorrect supplement use
- Decreased muscle soreness and feeling tired