Not all elite athletes can earn their livings through the practise of their sports, so what do they do?
The Employ an Athlete Program is a joint initiative between ClubsNSW and the NSWIS that was developed to provide NSWIS athletes with career options outside of their sporting careers. By offering flexible employment opportunities to elite athletes across NSW, registered clubs have assisted many athletes achieve the necessary balance between sport and work while equipping athletes for life after sport. By nature of their high achievement in sport, NSWIS athletes are dedicated, committed, goal oriented, efficient time managers and excellent communicators – all great skills when looking for your next staff member.
Clubs that have taken advantage of the program have soon discovered that having an NSWIS athlete on staff can provide additional benefits including mentoring of the younger team members and the opportunity for their club members to talk about sport with an elite athlete.
NSWIS athletes bring the experience from their sport to the working life including skills like dedication, time management, goal orientation and strong communication skills.
A number of athletes have secured employment with the program. The most recent include:
- Tamra Moore (Golf) - Manly Warringah League Club
- Alex Cross Lee (Bowls) - Dooleys Lidcombe Catholic Club
- Kara Murphy (Softball) - North Ryde RSL Club
- Samantha May (Netball) - Castle Hill RSL Club
- Michael Williams (Golf) - South Sydney Junior Rugby League Club
- Emily Scott (Water Polo) - Club Totem
- Rachelle Pole (Hockey) - Strathfield Golf Club
- Nicholas Hough (Track & Field) - Castle Hill RSL Club