NSWIS has an exciting new opportunity for a Head of Sport Intelligence and Technology.
The role will be responsible for leading a best practice approach in the application of data science, technology and innovation across the organisation; thus ensuring NSWIS develops an international reputation as a progressive leader in these areas by providing our staff and athletes with access to worlds best sport intelligence and applied technology.
This is a fixed-term full-time position, and we are offering a competitive salary which will be negotiable based on the successful candidate’s experience and demonstrated competency. The contract period is in line with the Paris Olympic/Paralympic cycle ending on 31/12/2024.
This is an identified position requiring a Working with Children Check.
For further information about the role and the key accountabilities please see the job description.
You are a dynamic leader who has turned a passion for data and technology innovation into a career which has given you:
- Demonstrated experience leading a team of data science/analytics experts where you have developed the capability of the team and driven the development and implementation of strategies and projects.
- Led the development of systems to gather, manage and review information from a variety of sources, applied exploratory data analytics to detect trends, and built statistical models to make predictions and distil meaningful insights.
- Experience in overseeing engineering and technology projects is desirable but not essential.
- 5-10 years experience working in a high performing inter-disciplinary environment in engineering or data science.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of how technology can enhance athlete and organisational performance.
- Significant experience in project management and strategy development in a similar sized organisation
- Exposure to imbedded systems and machine learning.
- Experience in leading the technical capability development of a team.
- Experience querying databases and other data sources and using statistical computer languages: R, Python, SQL
- Microsoft SQL Database experience including SQL scripting.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis.
Applying for the role
To apply for this role please submit:
- A cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements and focus capabilities for the role (maximum 2 pages)
- An up to date CV outlining experience, qualifications and achievements (please include at least two referees)
- A response to the pre-screening questions below (maximum 500 words per question)
Pre-screening questions (Please limit your response to 500 words per question)
- Provide an example of when you have led a best practice approach in the application of data science/analytics or technology within an organisation.
- What experience do you have in leading teams to deliver projects that require forging positive working relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders with varying agendas?
For further enquiries about the role please contact Kirsten Thomson, Director, Corporate and Communications via 02 9763 0222
To apply complete your application via the iworkfornsw by midnight 20th June. Only those applications which address the selection criteria and focus capabilities will be considered by the Selection Panel.
The NSW Institute of Sport [NSWIS] is a high performance sporting organisation that supports Australian athletes to become world’s best. We reach all regions of NSW with an Olympic and Paralympic training facility based at Sydney Olympic Park and high performance hubs across NSW that provide world class daily training environments for our athletes and coaches. Our experts work in collaboration with partners within the national sporting system to create and deliver high performance support services and environments to prepare athletes and coaches for international competition.
Commitment to Diversity
The NSW Institute of Sport is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce which reflects our community, sport partners and athletes. We encourage applications from suitable candidates including; of all ages, genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culturally and linguistically diverse groups, veterans, refugees, LGBTIQ+ community and people with disability.