NSWIS aspires to be a leader in sport intelligence and technology and is offering an exciting opportunity to fill a Senior Data Scientist role until 31 December 2024.
The role will provide data science services and expertise to internal and external client groups by executing high value data science initiatives. A strong focus will be continuing to build and increase the data analytics capability within NSWIS and lead projects focused on organisational and athlete performance.
This role will play a significant part in the ongoing execution and development of the NSWIS data science road map ensuring NSWIS develops an international reputation as a progressive leader and provides our athletes with access to world class performance environments and services. Specifically, the role will deliver technical excellence in statistics and various data sources, platforms and software and deliver solution and insights.
This is a fulltime position with an immediate start, offering a competitive salary which will be negotiable based on the successful candidates experience and demonstrated competency.
This is an identified position requiring a Working with Children Check.
For further information about the role and the key accountabilities please see the job description.
You will have:
- Experience in working in a challenging high-performance environment (preferably sport), and demonstrated capability to proficiently deliver solutions and insights.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders to ensure data science initiatives and projects align with NSWIS strategic objectives and business planning. This includes exploring data, developing code bases, building appropriate models, and discovering insights from findings to impact athlete and organisational performance.
- Provide thought and expertise leadership to other members of the data science team, as well as internal and external client groups, to impact performance, encourage innovation, and drive evidence-based decision making.
- Lead the provision and maintenance of adequate infrastructure and mechanisms for accurate reporting against selected key business metrics.
- Establish, implement and maintain quality data capture, storage, analysis mechanisms, ensuring data is increasingly harvested and used in a meaningful way to inform decision making.
- Support ongoing data stewardship including – ensuring the integrity and secruity of all data science systems and platforms and, by partnering with the NSWIS Information Technology team to ensure that a best practice approach is taken in relation to data governance and handling.
- In conjunction with the Head of Sport Intelligence and Technology, provide mentorship to sport scientists on the use and implementation of appropriate data science systems, coding, models, and platforms to achieve daily training environment sport program objectives.
- Increase operational efficiency and the reliability of data, ensuring that data collection is automated and centralised where possible.
- When appropriate, lead and contribute to national high-performance data science/technology and innovation projects.
The NSW Institute of Sport [NSWIS] is a high-performance sporting organisation that supports Australian athletes to become world’s best. We reach all regions of NSW with an Olympic and Paralympic training facility based at Sydney Olympic Park and high-performance hubs across NSW that provide world class daily training environments for our athletes and coaches. Our experts work in collaboration with partners within the national sporting system to create and deliver high performance support services and environments to prepare athletes and coaches for international competition.
- University level qualifications in one of the following areas: Data Science, Mathematics, Information Technology, Epidemiology (with advanced data analysis), or Biostatistics
- Fluent programming skills (Python, R, Java etc.)
- Level 1 Anti-Doping Certificate
- Working with Children Check
- Current driver’s license
Applying for the role
To apply for this role please submit:
- A cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements and focus capabilities for the role (maximum 1 page)
- An up-to-date CV outlining experience, qualifications, and achievements (please include at least two referees)
- A response to the pre-screening questions below
In no more than two pages please answer the below questions:
- Provide a recent example of where you have undertaken data analysis to successfully inform organisational decision making by seamlessly combining disparate data sources.
- Provide an example of when you have used regularly captured data (e.g., physical preparation and monitoring data) to establish meaningful databasing and longitudinal reporting to support performance outcomes.
If you would like to enquire about the role please contact Kirsten Thomson, Director, Corporate and Communications on 9763 0222.
To apply complete your application via the https://iworkfor.nsw.gov.au/ by midnight 21 February 2021. Only those applications which address the selection criteria and focus capabilities will be considered by the Selection Panel. Anticipated interviews will be conducted the week beginning 1st March 2021.
For more information about the NSW Institute of Sport please visit www.nswis.com.au.
Commitment to Diversity
The NSW Institute of Sport is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce which reflects our community, sport partners and athletes. We encourage applications from suitable candidates including; of all ages, genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culturally and linguistically diverse groups, veterans, refugees, LGBTIQ+ community and people with disability.