There are two positions available to undertake a 12 month student placement to work with the Strength and Conditioning team within the Performance Support (PS) Unit of the NSW Institute of Sport.
These positions will be working within Water Polo; 1 with the Men’s and 1 with the Women’s program. Placements will require a commitment of a minimum of 10 hours per week. There will be potential opportunities to work across different sports programs and sports science disciplines within NSWIS as part of these placements.
The NSW Institute of Sport is a national high performance centre and Olympic training facility based at Sydney Olympic Park. It was established in 1996 to develop and deliver programs and services to elite athletes in NSW. Our purpose is to support Australian athletes to become world’s best. The principles by which we operate are to: Find It (courage), Bring it (excellence), Own it (accountability), Fight for it (Passion), Drive it (tenacity), Together (teamwork). Through our world’s best mindset our staff enable, impact and support the performance of our athletes.
The Institute supports over 500 high performance athletes on squad or individual scholarships across 17 sports programs. The NSWIS has two Divisions: High Performance and Corporate and Communications. The High Performance Division comprises Performance Support and Knowledge Growth; Coaching; Research; and, Sport and Excellence.
The NSWIS Performance Support Unit comprises Strength and Conditioning, Physiology, Biomechanics, Performance Analysis, Nutrition, Personal Excellence, Medical and Physio, Injury and Recovery, Skill Acquisition and Performance Psychology Sections. These services work with NSWIS scholarship holders in an integrated and collaborative manner, to ensure that athletes and coaches have the best information, facilities and advice for optimising training and maximising performance.
This is a fantastic opportunity for university students to apply the knowledge and skills they have learnt, and be part of an elite high performance environment which supports, impacts and enables the performance of athletes.
- Assist with coaching delivery for strength training sessions.
- Assist with data capture and relevant reporting for testing and monitoring (utilizing various technologies and data platforms e.g. Smartabase, Gymaware, Force Plate etc).
- Provide support to other sports science disciplines where appropriate.
- Be keen to learn and develop in High Performance Sport
- Be passionate about influencing and improving athlete performance
- Be driven and show initiative
- Have excellent attention to detail
- Be reliable and responsible
- Have some flexibility around required work days
- Completing their final year of undergraduate study in an Exercise / Sport Science Degree as at Semester 1, 2019 OR enrolled in Postgraduate study in a relevant field
- ASCA Level 1
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Working with children check
- Experience in the fitness industry as fitness instructor, personal trainer or a related role
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with athletes, coaches and Service team
- ASCA Level 2
- Own car/transport
If you would like to enquire about the role contact Stephen Smith, NSWIS Strength and Conditioning Coach on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you believe that you have the required skills, experience, competencies and personal attributes, send your covering letter of no more than 1 page addressing the selection criteria and current resume to email@example.com by midnight Sunday 6th of January 2019 -please note the extended deadline, NSWIS offices will be closed during the period 24 December 2018 to 4 January 2019. Interviews will be held on Monday 14th of January 2019, so please ensure you would be available to attend an interview on that day. Please be advised that these roles are only open to students currently studying in Australia.