Smoothies are a great way to add extra energy and nutrients, and can to be used as a post-training snack, light snack between meals or as a meal on the go.
Adding different elements will help you cover all the macro and micronutrient needs. If on an energy budget you might have more of the vegetables and clear fluid options and if you are gaining weight and have a very high energy budget you might add a little more of the fats or fruit.
Smoothies are a good way to have personalised nutrition for your needs and tastes. Below is a step by step guide to creating super smoothies for athletes.
Step 1. Fluid
Amount: 250ml max – make the rest up with water
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Coconut water
- Natural yoghurt
- Cold herbal tea
- Soy milk
+ Protein powder (optional)
Step 2. Fruit
Amount: 1 piece fruit, two half serves, or equivalent
Step 3. Vegetable
Amount: ½ – 1 cup +
- Baby spinach
Step 4. Fibre
Amount: 1-2 tablespoons
- Chia seeds
- All bran
- Psyllium husks
- Wheat germ
Step 5. Fat
Amount: 1-2 teaspoons
- Peanut butter
- Coconut oil
- LSA meal
- Sunflower seeds
- Avocado (<1/4)
- Almonds (<10)
- Walnuts (<6)
Tips to creating a great smoothie
- Include a fibre, protein or a good fat to reduce a big blood sugar spike when consuming as a snack or meal replacement. If directly before or after training reduce fats and fibre.
- Freeze any old fruit and use frozen fruits to make it cold and thick.
- You could make a shake the night before with adding oats or chia seeds after you have blended it, this will make a thicker more breakfast style shake.
11 excellent examples of super smoothies for athletes
- Almond milk + natural yoghurt + berries + cucumber + spinach + oats + avocado
- Milk + banana + blueberry + kale + oats + LSA
- Milk + banana + peanut butter + chia seeds
- Coconut milk + banana + baby spinach + kale + lime juice + chia seeds + walnuts
- Water + protein powder + berries + carrot + all bran + almonds
- Coconut water + carrot + ginger + mint + celery + honeydew or rockmelon + chia seeds + coconut oil
- Water + natural yoghurt + frozen mango or peaches + ginger + mint + spinach + psyllium + tahini
- Beetroot + ginger + apple + spinach + avocado
- Almond milk + apple + celery + spinach + peanut butter + oats
- Water + orange + lime + mint + spinach + ginger + kale + almonds
- Coconut milk + cherry + blueberries + cucumber + oats + coconut oil