When considering protein for recovery, the timing, frequency and amount all play a pivotal role for optimal results. The ideal amount of protein to aim for post training for muscle repair is 20g of protein.
It is more efficient for recovery and muscle repair to have regular serves of this approximate amount of protein at each meal and snacks over the whole day than one large serve of protein. Easily identified protein foods are meat, fish, dairy and eggs but its also in nuts, grains and legumes.
Below is a list of foods and snacks with the portion size required to provide 20g of protein in total.
The total energy will vary in the snack suggestions here as carbs and fats are included to make a balanced snack and meal choice .
Smaller frames may only need 10-15g at snack times so roughly halve these portions.
1. 75g grilled rump steak
2. ¼ of a large chicken breast (70g)
3. 1 scoop musashi 100% whey protein
4. ¾ cup of low fat ricotta and cinnamon with sliced fruit
5. 4 vita wheat + ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
6. 1 English muffin + 2 slices ham + 1 slice low fat cheese
7. 1 slice of toast +1Tb peanut butter + 250ml light milk
8. 2 slices of grain bread + 95g tin tuna
9. 1/3 cup diced cooked chicken on 2 slices bread + salad
10. 550ml of full cream milk
11. 2 slices of low fat cheese on 2 slices of wholemeal toast
12. 2 eggs on 2 pieces of wholemeal toast
13. 1 cup cooked pasta with 95g tin tuna
14. ½ cup low fat ricotta on 2 thick slices raisin toast
15. Smoothie with 350ml light milk and 4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
16. 2 slices of toast +140g tin baked beans + 1 slice cheese
17. 2 cup Special K + 200ml light milk
18. 1 tub of high protein yoghurt + 12 almonds
19. Large cappuccino or latte + nut bar
20. 3 slices of grain bread + 220g tin baked beans
Comments are closed here.