Hockey Australia today announces the 27-member 2019 National Senior Women’s Squad as the team builds towards the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, featuring seven from the NSW Institute of Sport.
The Hockeyroos, who finished the 2018 year ranked third after being runners-up at the Champions Trophy in November, will compete in the inaugural FIH Pro League from January to June next year, followed by the Oceania Cup which is the qualification event for the Tokyo Olympics.
Hockeyroos coach Paul Gaudoin said: “We’ve selected the 2019 squad with a good eye on Tokyo.
“We’re looking to narrow our focus towards Tokyo and have identified the key skills we believe necessary to enable success.
“It’s been a tough process. There’s a lot of good players who’ve missed out.
“But we want to give some opportunities to people who’ve been performing well in our national level, internationally or in their domestic environment.”
There are five new inclusions in the 2019 National Senior Women’s Squad, with NSWIS Scholarship Holder Greta Hayes recently debuting for the Hockeyroos at the 2018 Champions Trophy.
Hayes, 22, provided an assist in her second cap for her country. Hayes was part of Australia’s 2016 Junior World Cup team and played a key role as the NSW Arrows won the 2018 Australian Hockey League, including scoring in the final.
“Greta is a hard-working midfielder,” Gaudoin said.
“She’s got a great engine that will allow her to go with a lot of opposition midfielders internationally.”
The squad, whom are now on a break after finishing runners-up at last month’s Champions Trophy, will reconvene for training in Perth on Monday 14 January.
The Hockeyroos will play world number one Netherlands in their opening game of the inaugural FIH Pro League in Melbourne on Saturday 2 February on FOX SPORTS.
Tickets are on sale now via ticketbooth.com.au.
2019 National Senior Women’s Squad:
- Jocelyn Bartram (Albury, NSW) (NSWIS)
- Kristina Bates (Port Melbourne, VIC)
- Edwina Bone (Orange, NSW) *Plays for ACT
- Lily Brazel (Sydney, NSW) *Plays for VIC
- Jane-Anne Claxton (Adelaide, SA)
- Kalindi Commerford (Mollymook, NSW) *Plays for ACT
- Madison Fitzpatrick (Cabarita Beach, NSW) *Plays for QLD
- Savannah Fitzpatrick (Cabarita Beach, NSW) *Plays for QLD
- Rebecca Greiner (Bundaberg, QLD)
- Greta Hayes (Sydney, NSW) (NSWIS)
- Jodie Kenny (Wamuran, QLD)
- Stephanie Kershaw (Townsville, QLD)
- Rachael Lynch (Warrandyte, VIC)
- Karri McMahon (Berri, SA)
- Ambrosia Malone (Burleigh, QLD)
- Georgina Morgan (Armidale, NSW) (NSWIS)
- Kaitlin Nobbs (Newington, NSW) (NSWIS)
- Hayley Padget (Melbourne, VIC)
- Brooke Peris (Darwin, NT)
- Emily Smith (Crookwell, NSW) (NSWIS)
- Penny Squibb (Tambellup, WA)
- Grace Stewart (Gerringong, NSW) (NSWIS)
- Renee Taylor (Everton Park, QLD)
- Sophie Taylor (Melbourne, VIC)
- Ashlee Wells (Morwell, VIC)
- Mariah Williams (Parkes, NSW) (NSWIS)
- Georgia Wilson (Mahogany Creek, WA)