If you head off to school, university or work around training times it’s important to plan ahead and make sure you have the right foods packed, that way the fuel needed to prepare and recover from training will be available when you need it.
Most of the snacks below contain both carbohydrate and protein so they are great before and after training – they don’t require much preparation so they are easy to pack and take with you.
Here are 12 snacks you can prepare at home for a quick snack, which are ideal for when you’ve got a lighter training load. You can even pack them in a lunch box and take with you for the day. These examples can be used as a guide for the combinations that make a balanced snack.
12 lighter snack for lighter training days
1. Grainy crackers and vege sticks with hummus
2. Celery sticks, apple or carrot with cottage cheese
3. Natural yoghurt with berries and mixed seeds
4. One boiled egg and a piece of fruit or muesli bar
5. Four Vita-Weat with one square slice low fat cheese
6. One slice grain toast with avocado (not more than ¼ avocado and a thinner slice of bread than what is pictured above)
7. Two corn thins or Vita-Weat with cottage cheese or tuna
8. Two or three Cruskits / Vita-Weat / Salada + peanut butter OR avocado
9. Regular milk based coffee and piece of fruit
10. Shallow handful of nuts (almonds or walnuts) PLUS fruit
11. One slice toast with ½ cup cottage cheese and tomato
12. 300ml light milk with Jarrah Hot Chocolate or Milo